April Blog

April: 4 hours of community service


    With the semester coming to a close, the last volunteering experience as a pharmacology student was bittersweet. ICNA Relief, in coordination with CRC Global Solutions, held a food drive at the Kenner Ponchatrain Center. I met with the volunteer group from ICNA Relief at 8:30 AM to begin unloading produce from the semi-trucks. At 10:00 AM we began to distribute the produce to families lined up in their cars. I couldn't stay for the entirety of the food drive and had to leave a bit early at 12:30 PM. Compared to the previous food drives I volunteered for, this one seemed to have less families in attendance. At first, this seemed disheartening to me. I then came to the realization that perhaps this was a sign of better times. Many of the families I interacted with shared personal experiences of returning to work and their children going back to school. With millions of Americans getting vaccinated everyday and the COVID family relief bill (hopefully) being passed soon, we may be returning to a sense of normalcy faster than I had expected. 

    This year has truly been full of eye opening, learning experiences. The circumstances of the pandemic have had countless unexpected outcomes on the world as a whole. I am grateful to have volunteered during these unprecedented times. Each month was an opportunity to become a more involved member of my community and served as a constant reminder of how our lives are truly intertwined with one another. Empathy is crucial for the growth and survival of humanity. I plan to genuinely take what I’ve learned in my classes and volunteering experiences with me on the next steps of my journey and hope to continue to grow as a person and healthcare worker.

AF

Total hours for the semester: 19 hours.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Blog

February Blog

September Blog